Edappally, about 10 km away from the city, is famous for the St. George Forane Church, one of the oldest Roman Catholic Churches in the State. The church, popularly known as Edappally Pally, was a small structure at the time of its construction in 594 AD. In 1080 AD, a bigger church was built adjacent to the old one to accommodate the congregation that had grown greatly in number.
Other interesting facts
The church has undergone many renovations since the time of its construction. The picture of the Virgin surrounded by sculptures and angels was integrated with the altar during one such renovation. On the wall behind the altar, there is a painting of Heaven. A statue of St. George mounted on his horse, spearing the dragon, is also seen here.
The church feast is conducted in the month of April-May. Thousands of devotees participate in the festival which is a grand affair.